Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Honey Walnut Shrimps


Honey Walnut Shrimps is one of the favorite dishes I love to order in a Chinese restaurant. The very first time I had this dish was during our vacation in Washington state in 2005. I have tried making it once, and it was pretty good. Every time we go to Boston, we usually eat at Jumbo Seafood and of course I never fail to order this entree.

HONEY WALNUT SHRIMPS
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup water
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup walnuts
4 egg whites
2/3 cup mochiko (glutinous rice flour)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 lb. large shrimps, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp canned sweetened condensed milk
1 cup vegetable oil for frying
Broccoli florets for garnish, steamed

DIRECTIONS:
1. Stir together the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and add the walnuts. Boil for 2 minutes, then drain and place walnuts on a cookie sheet to dry.
2. Whip egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Stir in the mochiko until it has a pasty consistency. Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat. Dip shrimps into the mochiko batter, and then fry in the hot oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
3. In a medium serving bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, honey and sweetened condensed milk. Add shrimp and toss to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle the candied walnuts on top and serve.

8 comments:

  1. This looks awesome. Worth a try.

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've tried little asia's version of this, yummy rin ;)

    happy ff!

    Mommy's Little Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a restaurant across the street from me and I get this dish every time! I am bookmarking this so I can try and make it!! I am so excited, because I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this with once with chicken. It was wonderful. You will never guess where I found this dish. At the hospital cafeteria when my grandson was born!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've never had this dish before. It looks interesting and yummy, a must try!

    Btw, thanks for dropping by my blog. Sorry for the late response, I was away for 2 months and just started blogging again last week.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good, I love shrimp. Thank you for sharing Mira.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks really delicious, here if you want seafood you can have your pick at 'dampa sa libis', you will buy first and have them cooked it the way you want! there's also 'something fishy' in eastwood, i'm working in libis kaya yan ang mga alam ko lol! nice recipe and thanks for sharing! thanks for visiting my entry! tc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this once, it was really good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete