The kiwifruit is a small fruit approximately 3 inches long and weighing about four ounces. Its green flesh is almost creamy in consistency with an invigorating taste reminiscent of strawberries, melons and bananas, yet with its own unique sweet flavor. Packed with more vitamin C than an equivalent amount of orange, the bright green flesh of the kiwifruit speckled with tiny black seeds adds a dramatic tropical flair to any fruit salad. California kiwifruit is available November through May, while the New Zealand crop hits the market June through October making fresh kiwis available year round.
Kiwi is a very versatile fruit that you can enjoy in many ways. Here are a few quick serving ideas:
- It can be eaten as is by peeling and slicing with a pairing knife.
- Add kiwifruit to tossed green salads.
- Serve sliced kiwifruit and strawberries, fruits whose flavors are naturally complementary, topped with yogurt.
- Mix sliced kiwifruit, orange and pineapple together to make chutney that can be served as an accompaniment to chicken or fish.
- Blend kiwifruit and cantaloupe in a food processor to make a chilled soup. For a creamier consistency, blend yogurt in with the fruit mixture.
- Kiwifruit have a wonderful flavor and appearance for use in fruit tarts.