Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Scallion Pancakes with Ginger Dipping Sauce

Whenever I go to Oriental store, I always buy scallions because they are usually a bargain at three big bunches for a buck. I use them in just about any dish like omelettes, fried rice, soup, sauces and many more. There is one good Chinese resto that we frequent where I always order their delish scallion pancakes. So I thought I should try making them since I've got tons of scallions in my chiller all the time.

There are a lot of recipes you can find in the net though, but I chose this recipe of Ming Tsai because I find it easier to make. Ming Tsai is also one of my fave chefs from Food TV Network who also owns Blue Ginger resto in the Boston suburb of Wellesley, MA where we've been several times already.


SCALLION PANCAKES WITH GINGER DIPPING SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup canola oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup ginger dipping sauce, recipe to follow

DIRECTIONS
1. In a bowl, sift flour. Slowly add water in a steady stream while mixing with a wooden spoon. Keep adding water until a ball is formed. With the same procedure one can use a food processor with a metal blade. Let ball of dough relax for about 30 minutes and cover with damp cloth.
2. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a thin rectangle. Brush an oil mixture, cover with scallion and season with salt and pepper.
3. Carefully roll dough like a spone cake. Cut into 4 pieces. Take one piece and twist 3 times. Make a spiral out of this and roll again and flatten to achieve a 5 to 6 inch pancake.
4. In a hot non-stick pan, coat with canola oil and pan sear both sides until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve immediately with dipping sauce.

GINGER DIPPING SAUCE
1/4 cup thin soy sauce
1/4 cup Chinese chinkiang vinegar (I used regular white vinegar)
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sugar
Combine all ingredients

Yield - Makes 4 servings

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a type with the soy sauce? Is it thick instead of think? Sorry for pointing it out I just didnt know if it is a brand of Soy sauce or a typo? Let me know.
    Have a great day! This sounds wonderful!
    Love Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mira,
    If Ming Tsai is one of your favorite chefs check out this interview he just did with Samantha Ettus of Obsessed TV:
    http://obsessedtv.com/2009/06/samantha-ettus-interviews-chef-ming-tsai/

    YUmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by this wet friday morning to greet yah a blessed weekend ahead :)

    ReplyDelete