Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Horrible Experience at ER

One of the things that we do when we visit the Philippines is to have executive check-ups. A thorough check-up in the Philippines is nothing compared to how much one major procedure might cost in US so it's obviously a worthwhile part of the itinerary. It's also not a problem walking-in a doctor's clinic or emergency room when you don't feel good. I remember in one of our visits to the Philippines, I had to rush my hb to the ER due to dehydration from diarrhea. He was reluctant to go to a hospital but was too weak to complain and it turned out he had amoebiasis. He was amazed at how a pathologist was available at midnight and his condition was diagnosed in few minutes. When he was discharged he felt like new again. We only paid a little over $10 back then.

Unlike here in US, in 2003 I had to be rushed to ER due to profuse bleeding through my menses. I was very pail and weak and I must have lost a lot of blood already. But when we got in, the staff was more interested in getting my insurance information than checking my vitals. I waited and waited for hours in the waiting area while my hb kept checking at the counter to see if they were ready for me yet. Six hours later a doctor was finally available to see me, and right there and then she said I needed blood transfusion. I was kept for the night in the hospital. I wonder what would have happened if we didn't have insurance or
health savings account? After that horrible experience I would never go back to ER ever.

1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart. I had to get a transfusion a few years ago, they never did figure out why. As one who has no insurance, I agree that the ER is a total nightmare. HUGS


    www.akissandapeck.com

    ReplyDelete