Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Featured Spices - Ginger

I'm not a big fan of ginger. As soon as I taste the strong flavor of ginger in a dish, no matter how delicious it may be, my appetite goes down. But I know how much benefit you can get from this spice so I try to block off as much as I can whatever negativity I have on ginger.

Ginger is a year-round power spice and is a renowned anti-inflammatory and circulation booster. When you are cold, ginger will warm you to the bone and when you are hot ginger will cool you. It is also high in potassium and contains essential oils and compounds that help settle an upset stomach. But as we always say that too much of anything can be poisonous, ginger is no exemption. You can only consume up to 10 grams of fresh ginger per day or about 2 to 4 grams dried. Exceeding the required dose may cause gastric upset and may interact with blood-clotting medicine.

Uses of ginger - peel and then add freshly grated ginger to stir-fries, carrot soup, fish and chicken marinades and sesame noodle salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment