Thursday, April 30, 2009
PREP THE KITCHEN
Before preparing fruits and vegetables, wash your hands with warm water and soap and use hot soapy water to clean your cutting board, countertop and utensils.
Thoroughly rinse fresh produce under running tap water, including those with skins and rinds that are not eaten. Never use detergent or bleach to wash fresh fruits or vegetables. These products are not intended for consumption.
Rub firm skin fruits and vegetables under running tap water or scrub with a clean vegetable brush while rinsing with running tap water.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
A unique presentation with an extra touch to stand out can be achieved through Richter Studios. If you are trying to win a multi-million dollar bid, Richter Studios is the company to hire. With the company's 10 year extensive presentations experience and a team of experts, a visually stunning and state-of-the-art presentation can be easily created for you. They have also created their own presentation based software for clients who want to really stand out. If you also need interactive help with websites and flash or need CD or DVD programming and production services, Richter Studios can deliver that on multiple levels and formats from simple Flash animations to over a million CD productions to web 2.0 websites. They can even implement tracking/metric solutions on CD based content in any programming languages like PHP, SQL, Lingo, Action Script, HTML, XML, or ASP. Richter Studios is certainly a worldclass multimedia firm.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Fat Burning Food #1: Apples:
Fat burning food #2: Garlic:
Garlic is one of the most effective fat burning foods. It contains the compound allicin which has anti bacterial effects and helps reduce cholesterol and unhealthy fats.
Fat burning food #3 Tomatoes:
Tomatoes is very effective to add on your diet. Not only are they good in your battle against overweight but they are also an excellent prevention against cancers and high blood pressure.
Fat burning food #4 Carrots:
Adding a carrot to the beginning of every meal is a very effective way to lose weight. Why do you ask? The carrot leaves no room in the stomach for the dessert. When using this trick you should have been able to lose about a pound in one week.
Fat burning food # 5: Oranges:
Oranges are rich in Vitamin C and they have fat burning properties. Compared with exercises they are an effective way to lose fat.
Fat burning food # 6: Mangoes:
Mangoes are full packed with fiber and are low in calories.
Fat burning food #7: Spinach:
(Source - ezinearticles.com)
- 2 pounds white fish fillet (preferably sea bass), cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (or more, if needed)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 to 2 chilies, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the lime juice with the onion slices, oil, cilantro, garlic, chilies, pepper, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Place the fish in a shallow glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold it in a single layer. Pour the lime-juice mixture over it. The fish must be completely covered with the mixture. Add more lime juice if necessary.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) until the fish is "soft cooked." (Make certain it has marinated long enough.) Serve on lettuce leaves garnished with onion rings, thin strips of pepper, and sweet potatoes and/or corn on the cob.
Serves 4 to 6.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Here are the diet and foods for people with mesothelioma:
• Fats should also form an essential part of the mesothelioma cancer diet as fats provide and generate the necessary energy the body it needs while undergoing treatment. Mesothelioma cancer patient’s age, stage of cancer and weight should decide the amount of fats that he/she needs to take to strike the right balance that indirectly helps to build a strong immune system. Again as per National Cancer Institute foods like sugar, butter, cheese, milk, honey and dried fruits are high on fats and therefore should be included while making a diet chart.
• Similarly a mesothelioma cancer patient should go high on protein in the diet. Protein should form an important part of his routine diet. Protein helps repair tissues that get damaged due to surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation therapy. Apart from it Protein helps to maintain strong and healthy immune system. A healthy immune system is good news as it reduces the risk of catching infections that cancer patient is likely to fact after the treatments and therapies. Even the National Cancer Institute recommends including and increasing protein in the diet of mesothelioma cancer patient. Foods that is high on protein and act as healers include yogurt, cheese, milk, ice cream, eggs, nuts, fish meat and peanut butter.
• Encourage cancer patient to drink water as much as possible or as prescribed by the doctor. Water is an essential part of the cancer diet. Without a substantial intake of water, the body is likely to start drying or experience dehydration. It is of immense importance that anyone undergoing cancer treatment receives enough water to keep his or her bodies hydrated, energized and replenished.
Cancer diet charts for each patient are different. Even different stages of cancer in the same patient call for a changed diet plan. If a person is showing improvement after treatment the diet will change and similarly if the case is adverse, diet chart will undergo a change. One should never get into making a diet plan for him as dietitian’s approval in making a cancer diet plan plays a very important role.
(Source - Healthoma.com)
It takes less than a minute. Work this out as you read. Be sure you don't read the bottom until you've worked it out! This is not one of those waste of time things, it's fun.
1. First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to go out to eat.
2. Multiply this number by 2
3. Add 5
4. Multiply it by 50 (get the calculator out)
5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1759. Or if you haven't, add 1758.
6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
You should have a three digit number
The first digit of this was your original number. (I.e., How many times you want to go out to restaurants in a week.)
The next two numbers are
YOUR AGE ! ------ (Oh YES, it is!)
Thursday, April 16, 2009
1 lb of Penne cooked according to package
Sweet and Hot Italian Sausage Sauce
Parmesan Cheese Topping
1 pack of Sweet Italian Sausage (6 links)
1 pack of Hot Italian Sausage (6 links)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans of 16 oz. Tomato Sauce
2 cans of 16 oz. Diced Tomatoes
1/2 tbsp dried Italian Seasoning
1/2 tbsp Parsley Flakes
1/2 tbsp dried Sweet Basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tbsp Olive oil
1. In medium heat, saute garlic and onion in olive oil for about 3 minutes or until soft.
2. Meanwhile, remove the skin of the sausage links and slice them in 1 inch thick pieces, just so it is easier to move them around the pan. But you can also drop them straight to the pan and just break them with your cooking spatula.
3. Mix in the sausage in the pan and stir until opaque.
4. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and herbs. Adjust the heat to low and simmer for about an hour, stirring every now and then. Slow cooking makes the sausage really tender and yummy.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I'm not a big fan of ginger. As soon as I taste the strong flavor of ginger in a dish, no matter how delicious it may be, my appetite goes down. But I know how much benefit you can get from this spice so I try to block off as much as I can whatever negativity I have on ginger.
Uses of ginger - peel and then add freshly grated ginger to stir-fries, carrot soup, fish and chicken marinades and sesame noodle salad.
But I recently found a great site called DavidsCookies.com that carries not only yummy cookies but other delicious sweets like brownies, tarts, cakes, cheesecakes and other dessert specialties. You can even buy cookie dough if you want to bake your own cookies. This is a very convenient product that comes in seven popular flavors that I really enjoy - Chocolate Chunk, Chocolate White Chunk, M&M, Macadamia White Chunk, Oatmeal Raisin, Peanut Butter with Reese's Chips and Sugar.
David Cookies also offers custom gift baskets that contain unique collections of gourmet goodies for any occasion. Get these gift baskets conveniently online to give as baby shower presents or a get-well gift, or even as housewarming or wedding gifts. For people who are busy and don't have much time to pick up a gift for someone they care for, at DavidsCookies.com you can get an express gift basket for next day delivery. If you want to order by phone you can also call 1-800-5002800. Flat shipping rate is only $4.95.
I love garlic, in fact we use a lot of it in most of our dishes. Do you know that garlic can fight certain illnesses? I read that garlic is considered as the "poor man's penicillin", as it contains many antimicrobial compounds. Just like leeks, onions, and other Allium vegetables, garlic shows promise of protecting against gastrointestinal and colorectal cancer. As for its reputation as a heart helper, studies are mixed, but one recent Tufts University study on agesd garlic extract suggest that it may indeed help prevent cardiovascular disease.
Uses of garlic - spread roasted garlic on crusty bread; saute it and add in sauces; use it raw in hummus and salad dressing.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Being married to a wine enthusiast has exposed me to occasional wine drinking and the art of wine pairing. Whenever we go out on dinners, which is quite often, it's good to know which wine will go well with what dish. When I order roasted chicken dish, I usually get Chardonnay, but if the chicken is prepared with tomato sauce, I go with red wine like Chianti. If I order fish like salmon, I usually get Pinot Noir, but a better choice would be dry Rose from Provence. The light cherry flavors of the rose will hold up well with the meaty salmon. If I order light fish with lemon, I usually order Pinot Grigio.
When we have friends over for casual dinner we choose wine with outstanding quality. It pays to read Wine Reviews that provide Wine Grades as guidelines in choosing wine. The grades are presented in two scores such as pure grade and value grade. Pure grade is derived based on color and general appearance; aroma and bouquet; flavor and finish; and overall quality of wine, while value grade is based on the value it presents to a consumer for the average retail price of the bottle. These are very informative guidelines, though of course all wine grading is subjective. I will always go for that wine that will give me the best value for my dollars.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Pomegranates are becoming increasingly popular from a health perspective as they are rich in antioxidants. In addition, pomegranates are full of potassium, niacin, Vitamin C and fiber. We are only just learning about the pomegranates' health benefits, but they may prevent some cancers and the hardening of arteries associated with heart disease, be a natural Viagra and may prevent Osteoarthritis.
(Source - ehow.com)
Thursday, April 9, 2009
But it's good to know that there is a product that works as Medical Alert system that will assist elders like they have somebody around to help them. For elders who want to live alone but still desire extra helping hands, Brickhouse Alert products are best for them. BrickHouse Alert is a Medical Alert Provider that offers Fall Detection and GPS Tracking Wander Alert. The Fall Detector automatically senses the fall and calls the 24 hour monitoring center which in turn dispatches help immediately. The GPS Tracking Wander Alert on the other hand can be used as a cellphone to call for help or the wearer can be found in cases of wandering off due to Alzheimers. The Brickhouse Alert products are very dependable and reliable and are powerful assistance, that give elders 24/7 complete aid and protection, and therefore give us peace of mind as well.
STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE
1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt*
1 tbsp honey*
(*For a healthier twist - use low fat or non-fat milk and reduce honey to a tsp)
1. Just mix everything together in a blender until smooth. Add more milk if you want it thinner. For my son who also loves to have some for breakfast, I use whole milk and a little bit more for thinner texture.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
2 Tbsps olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 lbs (about 4 1/2 cups) frozen peas
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 cups chicken broth, divided
2 cups cream
4 to 6 very thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese (optional)
1/4 cup diced roasted red bell peppers (jar is fine) (optional)
1. Place a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, butter, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the peas and basil, and heat until the peas are thawed.
2. Place the pea mixture in a blender. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth and pulse until pureed, adding more broth, if necessary, to puree. Return the pureed mixture to the pot. Stir in the remaining chicken broth and cream. Return the pan to medium heat and cook until hot, but not boiling.
3. To serve, place the soup in bowls. Float a thin slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of each soup and sprinkle with the diced roasted red bell peppers. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings (6 1/2 cups)
Do you know that it takes 20 minutes for our brain to process whether or not we are full? Apples take longer to chew and when you don't cut them up into little pieces it takes even longer. So when you chew longer it gives the brain time to process that you are full. Needless to say that apples are also rich in fiber which means that you will feel full for a longer period of time, and they don't digest quickly.
2. Green Tea
Green tea in particular is another good appetite suppressant food that is also known for its ability to help burn fat. This explains the popularity among people who wish to lose weight. Green tea can however also stimulate the release of hormones that can control or limit food cravings.
Not all chocolates are good appetite suppressant food. There are some kinds of chocolates that should definitely be avoided. There are also some brands and types of chocolates that carry a lot of calories and are sugar rich which makes them major weight contributors. However, very small portions of dark chocolate may be good for you. The bittersweet taste of pure dark chocolate has been known to suppress many appetites.
Oatmeal is an appetite suppressant too. This is why it should be in your breakfast menu more often. Oatmeal contains carbohydrates that slowly burn as it is used for energy, hence making you feel less like eating more. Oatmeal is also a fiber rich food that will make you feel fuller faster and last.
Flaxseeds are another rich in fiber food. Flaxseeds are best consumed when raw. If you want more flavors with your flaxseeds, you can mix them with your early morning bowl of oatmeal which can serve as a double appetite suppressant food.
Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can keep you hydrated. It also limits your appetite especially if you drink a glass before a meal.
(Source - HubPages)
Friday, April 3, 2009
Thursday, April 2, 2009
with RICOTTA SALATA
2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled seedless cucumber
2 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon
2 cups halved red grapes
3/4 cup peeled, cubed Asian pear (about 1 pear)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled ricotta salata cheese
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine sour cream, honey, rind, juice, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
3. Pour sour cream mixture over fruit mixture; toss well to coat.
4. Sprinkle with cheese. YIELD:
Makes 8 servings.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
This policy is valid from 1 April 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact email@example.com.This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org